[Home ] [Archive]   [ فارسی ]  
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
:: Volume 15, Issue 3 (Autumn 2013) ::
EBNESINA 2013, 15(3): 35-42 Back to browse issues page
The role of personality traits in predicting military students’ resilience
S Nodjoumi , H Bahrami
Department of psychology, Science and Research Branch of the Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran , sima13837@yahoo.com
Abstract:   (4033 Views)

Background: This study aimed to assess the role of personality traits (five major factors of personality) to predict military students’ resilience level. Materials and Methods: 353 randomly selected students studying at a military university in Iran took part in this correlational study. Two questionnaires were used to collect data on the research variables: NEO Five-Factor Inventory (NEO-FFI) with 60 items and Connor–Davidson Resilience Scale (CD-RISC). Pearson correlation coefficient and multiple regression analysis were run using stepwise method. Results: It was observed that such personality traits as Conscientiousness, Extraversion and Agreeableness were positively and significantly related with Resilience in participants. Only Neuroticism had a significant inverse relation with Resilience, with Openness to experience showing no significant relationship with Resilience. Regression analysis showed that Conscientiousness was the most powerful factor in predicting Resilience. It could predict 34% of the change in Resilience. Also Neuroticism could explain 5% of the variance in the standard variable (i.e. resilience). Conclusion: Totally, two predictor variables could explain 39% of the variance in resilience. Given the results, understanding the personality characteristics can help predict individuals’ resilience in stressful situations.

Keywords: Personality, Psychological resilience, Military
Full-Text [PDF 460 kb]   (1827 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Received: 2014/08/20 | Accepted: 2014/08/20 | Published: 2014/08/20
Send email to the article author

Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:

CAPTCHA


XML   Persian Abstract   Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Nodjoumi S, Bahrami H. The role of personality traits in predicting military students’ resilience. EBNESINA. 2013; 15 (3) :35-42
URL: http://ebnesina.ajaums.ac.ir/article-1-187-en.html


Volume 15, Issue 3 (Autumn 2013) Back to browse issues page
ابن سینا EBNESINA
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries by YEKTAWEB 4299